Friday, June 5, 2009

My Jobs

If you're my friend on Facebook, you may have noticed that my Work section (below) is full of jobs. You might be wondering how a person can have four jobs at once, but it's not as difficult as it seems. I'll explain.

Employer: Our 365 Newborn Photography
Position: Photographer
Location: Celebration, FL
I just had my first day today, and I'll be working here Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday mornings taking babies' first photos.

Employer: Sherwood Comunity Chapel
Position: Pianist
Location: Kissimmee, FL
This position has given me a great opportunity to improve my sight-reading, accompanying, and improvisational skills. During the summer, I only play on Sunday mornings and for occasional other Sunday services. During the rest of the year, I'll also play for choir rehearsals on Thursday evenings. I get to sing sometimes too!

Employer: Four Corners Academy of the Arts
Position: Voice/Piano Faculty
Location: Clermont, FL
When my friend Gretchen opened this business in January of last year, I had the pleasure of opening the studio with her as the drama and ballroom teacher. Now I teach ballroom, voice, piano, and musical theatre on Friday afternoons.

Employer: The Walt Disney Company
Position: Photographer
Location: Lake Buena Vista, FL
My first day with Disney was in May of 2003 as an attractions hostess in Tomorrowland. In June of 2006 I transferred to Entertainment as a character attendant, and I started with Disney Photo Imaging in December of 2006. My status is seasonal, so I can have them schedule me weekly, or I can choose from odds-and-ends they have available on the shift board whenever I'm free (which is what I usually do).






So as you can see, none of my jobs ever actually overlap with each other, and I still get to have Monday and Tuesday free, which are Eric's days off, too! Also, for the most part, it leaves my evenings free for performing gigs. I have my own professional equipment and repertoire, so I provide live entertainment for hotels and restaurants, weddings and other sacred ceremonies, and private parties and special events. I'll be playing at the public library downtown on July 31 at noon if you want to come by!

Photography is fun for me, and I've always considered it more of a hobby than a career. My goal is to some day (soon!) have a full-time performing contract somewhere closeby, so I can still have most of my evenings free. I've gotten very close to where I want to be, and I'm not giving up on auditions and performing opportunities. Soon I'll really have a full-time career doing what I am educated in and what I love!

2 comments: