Sunday, July 5, 2009

The End of a (Different) Era

I talked about the "end of an era" when our contract at Kimonos was underbid as a result of the economy. Now another one of my performing arts employers has fallen victim to the financial crisis. Four Corners Academy of the Arts, the performing arts studio owned by my friend and bridesmaid Gretchen, has permanently closed its doors.

It is bittersweet to think that if the year-and-a-half during which the studio was open for business had existed in a different time, things probably wouldn't have turned out this way. Gretchen and the rest of the faculty are dealing with this sad turn of events in our own ways but also taking comfort in knowing we enriched the lives of artistic young people, and even some not-so-young. Even though 4CAA has gone out of business, it's hard for me to think of the entire venture as a failure; I know we taught and touched a lot of people within and beyond those walls. Planting or encouraging a seed of creativity, learning, and confidence in another person can only be called a success.

At any rate, now I have openings for private voice and piano students to take lessons here at our house, so if you know anyone who is interested, please pass my information along!

No comments: