Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Gigs Galore

Since this new year began, I have been blessed enough to be just about in constant rehearsal for gigs from the start, and there are no signs of my slowing down any time soon!  First was the latest in a collaborative chain of performances for the Orange County Library System.  Last year around this time--when I had just bought my equipment and gotten my act together (literally)--I answered a post on CraigsList seeking musicians for Music in the Library, a celebration of National Music Week, at each of their branches.  I did a set in the study room at the Southwest branch in Dr. Phillips (kind of ironic to have some lady banging on a piano and screaming into a microphone in a library at all, much less a study room, huh?), and then another at the downtown branch on Central Avenue.  Jimi (spelled like Hendrix), the library's incredibly friendly and fun Community Relations liaison, recommended my services to his college roommate, who just happens to be Chef Chris Lacey of Jack's Steakhouse in the posh up-and-coming neighborhood of Baldwin Park.  As a result, I have gotten to play several sets at Jack's, enough, in fact, to cover the cost of my entire system--speakers, stands, mics, table and all!  So anyway, Jimi was nice enough to recruit me for another gig at the library, Dr. Phillips High School's Art Expo.  There were lots of nice comments and even a booking for a Friends of the Library event this December.  Mark your calendars!

Meanwhile, Eric and I were both tapped by Encore to perform in a small group of singers for Transitions Optical's annual international Academy at Disney's Yacht Club Resort.  The performances was for their 2009 Lab of the Year Awards ceremony, with a theme of "Never Lose Sight...of the Possibilities" (Get it?), so we were asked to sing a few inspirational numbers to open and entertain throughout the show: a Queen medley of We Will Rock You and We are the Champions, Power of the Dream from the 1996 Summer Olympics opening ceremonies, and a beautiful part-a cappella arrangement of Go the Distance from Hercules.  Our final selection was Defying Gravity from Wicked, and I was so excited to sing a solo!  Transitions Optical was nice enough to provide a costuming and cosmetology team for us, so I had a beautiful costume, amazing updo, and incredible make-up to wear!

Me as Glinda with Beth Neel as Elphaba

Then, just about the day after that event, I received a phone call from Mad Cow Theatre about a callback I had attended in December.  I was on their alternate list for the chorus of Bizet's Carmen.  Someone had dropped out at the last minute so they invited me to join the cast!  The performances will be Friday, February 26 at 8:00pm and Sunday, February 28 at 2:00pm at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center, which means I will be learning the entire role in less than three weeks!  I consider the entire experience to be a very exciting challenge, and I am thrilled to have my first theatre contract!

Coming up next will be the second annual cabaret featuring singers from Encore.  Like last year, all the proceeds from this year's show, called Time and Music, will go toward our budget for the summer production.  The goal is to keep making the summer show bigger and better so we can raise more and more funds for our selected charity recipient, which this year is the Make a Wish Foundation of Central and North Florida.  The cabaret starts rehearsal the first of March and goes onstage on March 11, 13, and 14 at the Odyssey Restaurant at Epcot. 

Finally, to keep me booked until May 16, I have just been cast in Garden Theatre's community production of good old Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  Back when I was a big fish in a little pond, I played the Narrator in Ware County High School's production, so it'll be a fresh and new experience this time since I'll be playing one of a few wife-y type chorus members.  Hopefully in the meantime I'll get a chance to be a judge again at East Ridge Idol, the annual fundraiser for my friend Gretchen's chorus program.  I'll have to double check my schedule.

As always, you can get the latest updates about my career by visiting my website.

1 comment:

pinder said...

Well, first of all you are cute to describe yourself as screaming and banging. You didn't even do that when you were a little kid. Gorgeous music always.

"Second of all" (I only have just these 2 points, so that's a misnomer or hyperbole or something.) I'm delighted to hear about all your performing opportunities. Your determination is amazing, and I am proud of you.