Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Day at D23's Destination D

This year marks the fortieth anniversary of the Magic Kingdom, so to commemorate the occasion, the official Disney fan club, D23, recently held a weekend event for its members at the Contemporary Resort.  It included information sessions led by experts on all things Disney, covering favorite attractions and films from years gone by, sneak peeks at upcoming projects, and even a look into the Walt Disney World that never was.  The weekend culminated in a concert called Magic Journeys that celebrated the music of Walt Disney World.

Why should you care?  Because I was in that concert!  I shared the stage with some of my Encore favorites (1) and Disney legends like the Kids of the Kingdom, the Main Street Philharmonic, Dreamfinder and Figment (6), and none other than Richard M. Sherman (2), a songwriting hero of mine who has won Oscars, Grammys, a Walk of Fame star, and the hearts of millions of film-goers and theme park visitors.  Sherman and his brother Robert wrote the songs for the most beloved Disney films of the 1960s and 1970s such as Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and Richard Sherman sang and played all of them at this concert that I also performed in!  I geeked out to the max!  It was a major highlight of my career to perform with such a talented and well-respected performer.

(1) Cristi, Antony, me, Lynn, Tommi, Cliff, and Gretchen

(2) Our view of RMS on the Jumbotron from backstage

Backstage at Magic Journeys

A close-up on the choir

Celebrate the Future Hand in Hand

(6) Finale with everyone onstage

2 comments:

pinder said...

Cooool!

Anna Pinder said...

Oh my gosh, I remember Dreamfinder and Figment! It's so cool that you were on stage with them!