Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gratefulness

During this month of Thanksgiving, many of us will evaluate all of the blessings in our lives.  The good news is that Eric and I have been showered with our share of blessings lately.  The bad news (for you) is that we've been too busy enjoying our blessing shower to keep this blog up to date.  So I apologize (again) for not being more diligent with timely posts, but since you're here anyway, I'll fill you in (again) on all the latest news from the Brown household.

What started as a temporary assignment for Eric has turned into a full-time position as a Housekeeping Manager at his resort.  He loves the cast, the behind-the-scenes magic making, and being done by 6pm every day!

I have had some pretty exciting career advancements myself.  You can always read about my career updates on my website and now on Twitter.  Most notably, I have started as a Casting Director for the American Idol Experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios!  The American Idol Experience is an attraction that allows guests to audition to sing in a live Walt Disney World show where the audience votes for their favorite performer.  My job is hearing those auditions and determining if they have the talent and star power to continue on to the stage.  It really is a tough job but so enjoyable and rewarding, largely due to my amazing team and the ability to truly make dreams come true!

I also have a new church family at First Presbyterian in downtown Orlando--I am their new Second Alto section leader for Chancel Choir, Chancel Ensemble (a smaller, auditioned group), and Canticum Novum (an even smaller chamber group).  In between my commitments to church, the Idol Experience, and other gigs, I still make it to my newborn photography gig at the hospital (just more seldom than before).

Speaking of other gigs, I'm shaping up to be one busy lady this holiday season.  First Presbyterian will have two big services on Christmas eve, but in addition to that, I am also going to be singing with two a capella ensembles this winter.  This will be my first year singing with the Dickens Carolers from Vocals, Inc., who have been caroling all over town for 20 years! I'll also be performing with a jazz quartet at SeaWorld for their Christmas Celebration this year--what do you think of the name Belles and Beaux?!

In the spring once things are settled down from the holidays, I'll be joining Legacy, a professional vocal group that is part of my friend Joshua's non-profit organization, Central Florida Community Arts.  I was also just offered an ensemble role in the Orlando Philharmonic's concert production of Carousel next April.

I'm still with Earth Beat, my classic cover band, and I had my first two Sing gigs in the last two weeks--a fun one here in town and one really special one in New Jersey before that.  We were so close to New York City that we couldn't resist popping into Manhattan for dinner and drinks and touristy photo ops in Times Square!


It was at this moment when I was looking up at the bright lights in the big city (where someone at flown me and fed me and put me up and paid me to do what I love) that I fully realized what a truly amazing career year I've had.  I confessed my New Year's Resolution goal for 2011 on this blog--to become a full-time professional musician.  Years of networking, interviewing, and auditioning finally culminated in successfully reaching that goal!

In 2012, it'll be Eric's turn for a banner career year.  For now, our personal lives are mostly the same.  Eric drives a new car, I lopped off a whole crapload of my hair, but it's basically the same story--we still have the same friends with a few fun new ones peppered in, we still find time for our loopy staycations and relaxing nights at home, we still live in the same house.  We'll be having (almost) all of our family members over at our place for Thanksgiving in just a few short weeks, another blessing for which we're humbly grateful.

2 comments:

pinder said...

I loved reading all your news!

Anna Pinder said...

I am so happy that you are super excited about being a full-time musician! Praise God!